Summer is just around the corner and that means longer days, swimming, sunsets and bike rides but also longer exposure time to the sun.
I was sitting under an umbrella yesterday at the pool watching my granddaughter swim. I was fully protected by the shade except for my legs. It didn’t seem like they were in the sun for too long but last night I realized what a mistake I made!! They were burnt and they hurt to have the warm water on them in the shower and to even sleep with light blankets on them. Honestly, just sitting in the sun for 10-15 minutes without any SPF on my legs burnt them to the point of discomfort!!
Practice safe sun this summer, I know this was a huge reminder for me that even a few minutes in the sun without SPF can damage the skin. If this happens to you, I’ve included a few home remedies you may try to soothe the burn and let you rest comfortably:
- Apply a cold damp cloth to your skin
- Use a moisturizer that contains Aloe Vera or soy to help soothe sunburned skin
- Drink lots of water
- Lidocaine is a numbing cream and is safe when used sparingly
- Take Ibuprofen if pain is throbbing and starting to blister
- Leave blisters alone
Prevention is key and the best when it comes to maintaining youthful skin
- SPF 30+
- Sun Protective Clothing
- Sunglasses especially for light eyed people who are more sensitive to sun exposure
Wishing you all a wonderful summer season filled with much fun, adventure, friendship and memories!!
Remember SPF is you BFF 🙂
Love & Skincare,
Sherena Jarvi L.E.